Sunday, September 15, 2013

2 new "friends" with Wegeners

So I have run into 2 different people who know people with Wegeners.  The first person was a lady I met at the park in Hayward for a ward playdate with the kids this summer.   First I started talking to her about our kids.  She said he had another kid at a basketball camp at Moreau.  Surprised, I said, so do I.  My son, Eli was there.  I told her about how my husband works there as well.  We continued on with the discussion of our kids and how she had to take care of her nephew for several years because her mom was raising him, but then died from a really "rare autoimmune disease".  I had to ask what type.  It was Wegeners.  So I told her about Ian.  It was a crazy crash of stories.  Her poor mom went undiagnosed for many years and later committed suicide because of it.  VERY sad.  We then talked about religion- her lack of it because she was mad at God for all the death she had seen in her family, but wanting something.  I got to talk about our church as my church friends showed up for our play date.  I have since run into her at the basketball camp and then again at the soccer field on Friday when Caleb was practicing.  It would be nice to find a way to invite her to church.

The second person is Sara McBride Boccoleri's new boyfriend, Jason.  Sara needed a place to stay on her way to a work thing in San Jose this week.  She filled me in on the divorce she's going through and then on her new boyfriend Jason, who has Wegeners.  They've been dating 6 months.  Jason is 40 and lives in Arizona at the moment, but was diagnosed at 21 while living (was raised in Concord too) in Concord.  He was treated with the harsh meds of Citoxin, which has gnarly side effects, like bone loss.  He has had hip surgery, hearing loss, ear surgery, his eyes are sinking in, and has sadle nose from all the meds.  He's had massive doses of Prednisone and also has a very raspy voice.  It's sad and such a small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment